Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Who IS this Pikachu?





I've been inspired to talk about my Pikachu. My young wild-haired Pika Pika! Pikachu is 14 now...he was a Valentine's Day baby and I thought about naming him Valentino...Tino for short. Sooo glad I didn't. Pikachu is much more fitting. I decided I will refer to him as Pik throughout my blog at times...pronounced peek.

I remember when Pikachu was about 2 years old. He started to put all kinds of small "fings" (things) in his pockets. Luckily they had come out with cargo pants with all the many pockets. He loved finding coins, rubber bands, small pieces of broken somethings...anything that was small enough to fit in those little pockets of his. Fast forward twelve years and guess what I am finding in the dryer's filter? Yes, small "fings". He does his own laundry and forgets to clean out the pockets so I get to find all these small surprises; which are endearing actually. It reminds me that he's still my little boy.

When Pikachu turned one, some friends brought him over a couple of little gifts. I remember opening one of them and wondering to myself "What is this thing?" It was the yellow Power Ranger...I came to find out a little later that the yellow ranger was a girl. I thought it was cool that they were giving my one year old an action figure! A girl though? Hmmm.

I'm glad that Pikachu doesn't have too horrible of memories of when I was with his dad. We fought all the time and I was not happy. I know he sensed it at the time; I'm just glad he doesn't remember. Pikachu was 4 years old when I met Sweets. It's been great to have a solid example in Pikachu's life and Sweets love him a whole lot too. He still sees his own dad on a regular basis as well. His dad is really good to him. He wants to be involved in Pik's interests and he's very supportive that way. He just doesn't make the best decisions in his personal life; which can sometimes affect his own kids...he has a daughter who is either 12 or 13 and a son who is about 14 months. He's not married and he hasn't really held down a stable relationship with a woman because he's not the committing type. I was sitting in the living room reading one Sunday afternoon, when Pikachu came in. It seemed like something was on his mind so I put down my book and asked him what was going on. He told me that he loves his dad so much but that he wished that he was a better person morally. Of course, like most mothers, it pained me to see that this caused him some mental anguish. We talked for a long time that Sunday afternoon. It was nice, just my son and me.

When Pik was about three years old he started showing some real interest in drawing...he really had a knack for it. By the time he was five he was drawing better than me! He really likes drawing anime'; which to me it looks a lot like those wacky Japanimation cartoons. Anyway, he's good at it. He draws what his interests are: guns, and these little guys...more small "fings" right? I need to get him into an art class, something more serious than the ones they offer at his middle school.

So some time last year Pik went up to Sweets and asked him "Hey Dad, have you ever heard of Jimi Hendrix?" Another time he came up to me and asked "So, WHO was Bob Marley? Was he like a surfer or somethin'?" The kid LOVES music and he's no longer clueless. He listens to all the classics: Hendrix, Zeppelin, Deep Purple, Black Sabbath, The Ramones, and one of my favorites Guns n' Roses! Seriously, this kid is coolness inside and out. His hair is his pride and it looks pretty cool, although we do have to tame it down a little for church. He plays the drums and is taking guitar lessons. He likes his guitar teacher because he'll make him sweet Punk Rock compilations and play duos of Kansas with Pik on their guitars. He already knows what kind of car he wants and if he were here he could tell me the year...all I know is that it's some classic Mustang. Someone is selling theirs nearby and whenever we drive by he makes me laugh with his face plastered against the window making sounds of groaning with wild yearning.

In school, he doesn't do too shabby either. He's bright and his teachers really like him. In fact, when we went to Parent-teacher conference last month ( I always make my kids go with me, just like I had to with my mom) there was one teacher that when it came our turn she about jumped out of her seat exclaiming how much she LOVES Pikachu. I just kept laughing the entire time..it was so ridiculous...borderline obsessive, I tell you! She just went on and on how the other students should be jealous of him and that most of those other kids are pure idiots and that Pik's papers will forever hold a special place in her heart and be on display on her wall of fame and then she got down on one knee and proposed. Alright, I'm kidding, but seriously the woman was all nuts about my Pikachu...I sill love to tease him about it.

Pik keeps me laughing all the live long day with his silliness. One of his favorite things to do is to sneak up on me using his "stealth and ninja-like qualities" (this is how he prefers to describe himself) and scare me to the point that I actually pee my pants. He is crazy, but crazy cool too. His church leaders like Scott Davis and Jeff "Duffy" Knowles are always telling me how he is the life of the party and that all the scouts want to be like Pik. It's fun to hear...I know how fun it can be with him around.

He's not the most patient, but he does try. I know that it's hard for him a lot of the time because he's such a perfectionist and this can be detrimental at times. I just want him to know that I'm so proud of him for wanting things that he does to be perfect, but when they're not that I love him just as much. One quality that I love about him is that he is apologetic. Apologies come easy to him and he's humble and genuine about it. He is a deep thinker, asking deep questions that make me delve into my own philosophies on life. He can see people's true feelings and I know it's a gift that he came with. He is sweet with his young siblings. He is 7 years older than Noni Girl, 9 years older than Chookie, and 12 years older than Treatums, so you can imagine how crazy things can get around here! He is great to step in and help without being asked when the chaos has turned into too much for me to handle alone. He is sweet and will give heartfelt hugs when he can see that I really need one. I love that kid!

It's pretty awesome to have him around. He's like my cool little friend; introducing me to new music and always letting me know that I'm a pretty cool mom. I like the person that he's turning out to be and I am so proud of that young man.

More cool stuff on Pika Pika:
  • I just read in my journal that when Pik was about 7 he told my niece Flodi (pronounced fludee) that when he grew up he wanted to be a rockstar and the his instrument of choice that would take him to stardom would be the mandolin!
  • Pik used to say some pretty sweet prayers like" please bless those ill ones that they can get money to get repaired".
  • He lets me play "Rock Band" with him (even though I'm probably pretty lame), and he lets me pick out the songs we're going to do....I always sing.

11 comments:

Nancy said...

See, this is great!! Seriously, i feel like I have such a better feel for little Pik just like for Jazzy tht other day. i totally love it. You just don't get to know the little cousins all well unless they happen to be the age to be hanging with your own kids (you know because there are like 200 cousins now). I want more!! These little mini-bios of my neices and nephews are my favorites

Nancy said...

P.S. Whewn I said I want more, I didn't mean more than 200 cousins -- I mean that's cool too, sure, if that happens, but all I'm sayin' is I MEANT more little writings about these cool kids.

PLUS, I've been meaning to say this for a LONG time -- about those letters we have to type in below. They CAN NOT keep putting a lower case letter that looks like a "q" or a "g" but you NEVER know because they don't put a curve one way or the other at the bottom!! Who do they think they are!! I get one of those like every day and I always guess wrong!!

Perla said...

I'm SO glad you wrote about Pik. But since when is he 14? I still think he is 7. Sheesh. But I really am so glad that you wrote because I don't get to see Pik enough to feel like I know him really well. I'm so glad he's in our family. And I'm so glad that at pre-school one day he got to see two girls kiss.

Lover of Sweets said...

I like hearing about what the older kids are up to these days too, Nanc.

Ok Perla, the 2 girls kissing sounds so familiar, but I can't recall what it was. What was it?

Salty Incisor said...

Love this post some much./ You have the studliest boys in that family. All those pictures are so cute. I can't believe he will be driving so soon. He must get his considerable coolness from you!!! Awesome post, your motherly love and pride(goodpride) comes thru!

Perla said...

Zhateal ~ I don't know where Pik was attending pre-school at the time. I think it was shortly before you and Sweets married and you were living at P's End. I just remember Pik coming home one day and you telling me about how excited he was in the car. He could hardly wait to tell you about his day and the coolest thing in the world that had happened. He got this really sly little look on his face and said, "Two girls kissed." Sweets thought that was about the best thing he'd ever heard and I knew that Pik was going to grow up to be the handsome, ladies-love, young man that he is today. So funny. I also remember the sad night when he was dying for this certain crunchy dessert you were making and he had to wait and wait and wait for dinner and then finally he had to eat dinner and had to eat so much spaghetti that by the end when he could finally have some dessert, he just rested his head on his arm on the table and said, "I don't want any. I'm too full and too tired." I don't know why I thought that was so sad and funny.
And thank goodness for these blogs because now we'll have all of these cool things recorded!

Welcome! said...

Wonderful P! I really don't know your little Pik that well except he is always polite to me and sometimes will give me a "hey" at Grandma's. I am glad he likes the guitar like my Bud (oldest son-using nicknames now for safety)and that he so loving and caring. I had fun seeing these photos and getting to know my little/now getting bigger nephew

Lover of Sweets said...

Thanks Tash...very kind words. I like my boys.

Lover of Sweets said...

Oh no Perla! What a mean mom I was not to let him have his dessert! It wasn't "dessert beets" was it?

I remember the 2 girls kissing story now...funny!

Perla said...

oh no, not dessert beets. But that is another cool story that everybody should know. i was dating this guy and he was really cool but i just didn't really love him and his scruff always gave me rash-face. embarrassing. but anyway, he was really cool with kids and Pik liked him a lot. I guess Pik was only 6. One time this guy was having a family dinner with us and there were beets at the table. Canned beets. Gross. But he told Pik that they were the most delicious treat on this earth and that he couldn't eat them until dessert. Well...to our dismay, it worked. The two of them ate beets for dessert and, apparently, Pik still loves them. Too funny.

And you're not a bad mom. All of our kids would eat that crunchy dessert (made with condensed milk and chocolate chips and butter and I can't remember all what else) in place of spaghetti any time. I'm sure he had some the next day. Probably.

Lover of Sweets said...

Perlita, what was even funnier about the "dessert beets" was that they weren't BEETS at all, but cranberry sauce!
Now, let's start posting some new stuff. Hmmm? What shall it be?