Monday, April 7, 2008

35 and so very Grateful

Yes, I turned 35 yesterday. What a great day to have a birthday, April 6. I only share my special day with our Savior is all. Yeah, I've always felt pretty special about it and why shouldn't I? The church was restored back to the earth on this same day back in 1830 (I think).

Yesterday was pretty nice, listening to conference and cooking up a nice meal to which I had invited my parents. I made the wonderful sweet pork burritos that most of us have enjoyed at Costa Vida. Thanks Deb for getting this spectacular recipe from your niece!

Here, I'll share it while we're on the subject (be ready for mouthwatering festivities):

The Meat:
1 pork roast or pork loin (said to be more tender, but I haven't tried it to know...the roast is plenty fabulous)
2 jars Tostitos Salsa (I use medium for a little kick)
1 cup brown sugar

Put everything in your crockpot and cook on high for 6 hours. When cooking time is done take meat out and shred on a separate plate then put back in pot and stir it all up.

The dressing (we just did as Deb suggested and poured this tangy little taste sensation over the whole burrito...freakin' yum!):
4-5 large tomatillos (ask your produce person if you're not sure what they are)
1/2 bunch cilantro
1/2 button garlic
1/4-1/2 jalapeno (depending on how spicy you want it...I used 3/4 last night)

Chop up everything a little smaller and throw into a blender or food processor

Then add 1 cup mayo and 1/4 cup sour cream and 1/2 packet of Ranch Dressing...blend this up and squeeze in some lime...blend again.

The sides:
Zattarain's Dirty Rice
Uncooked tortillas (Costco has them) cook them!
Beans...I used a variety..pinto, black and refried
guacamole (I just love avocados...only add what you'd like)
shredded cheese
romaine lettuce
sliced black olives

Anyway, this meal is soooooooo tasty...your mouth will have a party with all the different flavors!


I am so grateful for what I get to be a part of: a sweet husband who loves me to no end and that made me my favorite lemon cake yesterday....four healthy and rambunctious children who I love to no end! My life is pretty dang exciting huh (Nacho)? I love it! If "Secret Life of a Soccer Mom " came to my house I'd tell that Tracy Gold where to go because THIS is where I belong!

I just have to say that I loved having my mom and dad over too. My mom played the guitar; which I've always loved. Sweets and I just sat back and relaxed; listening to her was quite soothing. She and I even sang a song in Spanish together while she played accompaniment on the guitar. It was so fun. I grew up listening to all kinds of music with her and loved every minute of it. Music is truly where we connected and still is.(Click on image twice to enlarge)Here is a picture of the card NoniGirl made for me. ***Note: I like that I "don't suck eggs"...I guess that's a compliment?

Thank you all for your birthday wishes. I always love hearing from family and friends and it was extra nice to be thought of on my special day. Love to you all!
Peace out.

Oh, and here is some birthday cheer for ya:


9 comments:

Mugsy said...

Pris you are the coolest ever! I love that you would tell that soccer mom where to go. I love your family so much!! Cool that you and your mom sang, wish I had any talent in my body but alas its not so.. Happy late Birthday!! And thanks for the recipe, I was addicted to the sweet pork at costa vida and was so so sad when I couldn't get my hands on it any more. Now looky I get to make them from home!
O and you will always be tweny five to me. I am not sure exactly why but that is where you stay in my book. Love you,, Meg

Lover of Sweets said...

Thanks Mugs! You, no talent!? Please! Look at your awesome creativity and HELLO your ability to draw faces! Aaaaaagh....if only!
Love you too so so much!

Nancy said...

Yah, your life is pretty dang exciting. Amen sister. i lov ehow you are always so grateful for everything you have. I think gratitude is the coolest trait ever. And I LOVE that your mom plays the guitar and sings. I had no clue!! How could I have not known this??

Lover of Sweets said...

Oh yeah, Nanc, I forgot to tell you that my mom and I saw your in-laws at the coolest concert ever! we went and saw a famous guitarist and his flamenco dance company. It was so good and there were Mike's parents getting all cultivated...it was sweet.

Perla said...

i'm so glad you had such a happy birthday and you are such a good example that you only felt blessed for having been able to make such a lovely meal when i most certainly would have been sad to have cooked on my birthday. and i love your comment to tracy gold. yeah, i'd tell her where to go as well! and i didn't know that about your mom and music either. way cool!

Nancy said...

Yes, I've always felt that I have an extra closeness to your mother because unlike my siblings who can only claim knowing her through you, I can claim knowing her through the Harris's who also love her. I think that is why I am better than my other siblings.
COol that you went to that concert with your mom. You are a good daughter.

Lover of Sweets said...

I don't know that I'm a good daughter , but I do love some good music, that's for sure! I DO think you are better than your siblings because of that reason and don't forget I feel like I know your Mike better than YOUR siblings because my mom used to clean his bedroom and she told me all about it (I can't remember what was said but it was good...and I don't mean that in a good way).

Salty Incisor said...

Thanks for the receita. Love you and miss u. Have fun with girls and Gorge.
T

Catherina said...

Holy He..!!!! I made your recipe for dinner tonight and they were 2 die 4!!!

thanks for sharin' the goodness of food!!!

luv you!
flods