
This is my love child, Nik, he was born on Valentine's Day. He came at a crazy time in my life, but I would not trade it for the whole world because I have HIM and Nik is amazing. He loves video games as you can see from his lovely gifts. He is somewhat of a nerd that way. I even pre-ordered a game that won't even come out until the summer! It's what he wanted, so.... He is also very creative in his writing and he is an absolute artist and I've known that ever since he was just a timy little guy drawing Power Rangers everywhere! He has always loved the way of small things...tiny things in his pockets, in containers, everywhere.
This weekend was his dad's weekend and Sid decided he would take him snowboarding. I believe it was Nik's first time. Well, he caught on fast. He was going off jumps but lost control in the air and came down hard on his face and his arm; which he broke (see below).

I met Sid at the hospital early Saturday evening and was there for about 5 hours! You know emergency rooms! Poor kid broke his wrist, not both bones, but the radius. He was very brave throughout all of it...x-rays, IVs, getting put under and having the bone set. He even reminded me to stay and say a prayer for him.

Here is Nik coming out of it. He was given a drug called Propofol for conscious sedation...he was out of it and probably felt pain but doesn't remember any of it. He did, however, remember hallucinating his old cell phone floating in the air in front of him. His ER doctor (Matt Pollard) told him he was saying "the squares are talking to me!".
We went back to see him and Dr.Pollard told us that everything went well. Dr.Stucki was the orthopedic surgeon on call so he set the bone. When we came in Dr.Stucki was cutting the cast on both sides to allow for swelling. Both doctors left and we were left with his nurse Lecia and she said that his heart did a strange thing all of a sudden. She went and told the doctor that his heart V-tach'd. Apparently this is an abnormal rythym that comes from the bottom part (ventricular?) part of the heart. Dr.Pollard told us that he was concerned because in his 8 years practicing and giving his patients Propofol he has never experienced his patient's heart doing this. He called the pediatric cardiologist at Primary Children's Hospital to see what he had to say. We have an appointment to take Nik to Salt Lake this Friday for an echo (some type of heart monitoring), an exercise stress test, and an exam with their cardiologist.
We were told by Dr.Pollard that the drug may have caused the reaction in his heart, but doesn't seem very likely since he has never seen this sort of reaction before. This is what we're hoping for because the other option just doesn't seem like an option to me and that is that Nik could have an underlying heart condition; which would be rare, but maybe that the drug unmasked it somehow. Please pray for our Nik.

Even after all this, Nik was in good spirits. I love him so much! Earlier in the week on Wednesday, I got to go to a Mother /Son dinner with him and it was so much fun! He was the perfect date...holding doors open for me, helping me in and out of my coat, holding me up so I wouldn't slip in the ice. Any woman who ends up with him will be too lucky!

I love you Nik!
9 comments:
Priscilla, I had no idea!! I will pray for him. Send a family email out on the day he goes for his echo so we are all remembering the very day too.
Dear sis..and aunt..yes of course he is allready in our prayers and we see that EVERYTHING will be in perfect balance! Our Love is there and our hearts...
May the spirit of God be with you all...
Kristine/Bungy
Vivi
Yes, we know his love for small "fings"....Poor little Nico.:-( We will keep him in our prayers. And do please email on that day....
Love you!
flodi
NO! There is nothing wrong with my little NICK! I refuse to let there be. My prayers are with him and he is going to be fine. I love Nick so much. WHat an ordeal for that little man. You are such a good mom Prscilla. I love you too so much. Please keep us all updated. When does he go for his stress test?
Oh, poor Nik! We will definitely be saying prayers for him! Love you guys!
i will definitely be saying prayers for nik. i am so sorry to hear about his break. and of course the heart thing is even more scary. perhaps, if there is something wrong, it will be a blessing to have found out this way while he was in the hospital and now it can get all taken care of. but i prefer that it was just a fluke because of the medicine and will pray that his heart is perfect!
Oh Miss Priscilla - I am so sorry no one told me this - of course we were in St. George when it happened so I guess that is why! Now as to the heart, don't be worried. There are many things the heart can have that are crazy but don't hurt you. I don't know if you remember I went into the hospital cause my heart rate was off the charts last summer and all they could attribute it to was that my thyroid was a little off again...some people will have fast heart rates, or skip a beat or lots of things and they are just fine. However we will of course say lots of prayers and we are so sorry about his arm. It looks a lot like Andre's did when he broke his arm playing football and we were in New York and couldn't even be with him. You are a good Mama and of course like all good Mama's worry. And if there is something wrong, better to know it now while he is healthy and can be diagnosed than to all of a sudden have some sort of a surprise when he is older. We lover your little Nick and tell he very belated Happy Birthday!!!
Happy Birthday, Nik! You are one tough dude. You are in our prayers at the Tomany home. I agree w/ your Mom-the girl who ends up with you one day will be sooo lucky!
So Priscilla, what's up with Nik? Did he get those tests done? Is he okay? I will pray for him. You are a cute mom - he looks like a great kid!
Post a Comment